History of the Derry Cup
The trophy was kindly donated by former SLCGA Executive Committee
member and County Training Officer Sue Hill (Hankley Common GC) in
memory of her father J L Rankin, who was an accomplished golfer and
played most of his golf in Ireland. The original cup was awarded to
‘JL’ when he won the Derry Open in 1951 and SLCGA are delighted
to rededicate this cup as The Derry Cup.
Eleanor Helme was a member of Leatherhead GC and played to a handicap
of 1. She represented England in 1911, 1912, 1913 and 1920 and won
the English Ladies Amateur Championship at Ganton GC in 1923. She was
elected SLCGA Vice-President in 1913, Captain of SLCGA in 1920 &
1923 and became President from 1929 –1946.
Eleanor was an eminent journalist, working as the golfing
correspondent for the Yorkshire Post and the Daily Telegraph. In
1933, at the English Ladies Amateur Championship at Westward Ho GC,
supporting fellow Surrey golfer Nancy Halstead, she picked up a
golfing scoop when Gloria Minoprio from Littlestone GC arrived on the
first tee wearing trousers!!!
She was a great supporter of junior golf, and with help of Molly
Gourlay, organised the first Surrey Girls Championship in 1952 which
was won by Elizabeth Reid. After the Second World War, she retired
with her sister Vera to Luccombe in Exmoor, where she wrote 4 books
on golf and 7 children’s stories about ponies and farming.